Kirkland custom mouth guards – not just for impact sports
When you think of an athlete wearing a mouth guard during play, you probably have the image of a football, basketball or hockey player in your mind. Dr. Ann Kelley and her team at Kingsgate Dental are here to let you know that even those that don’t participate in high-impact sports can (and probably should) be using custom fit mouth guards.
It’s important for kids who play sports to begin wearing mouthguards at an early age so that a habit-forming routine can be established. This goes for children who aren’t playing high impact sports also, such as gymnasts, skateboarders and bicyclists. A custom fit mouth guard should not be viewed as optional but as an essential piece of their equipment/uniform. There are several reasons for this including:
- A mouth guard limits the risk of a mouth related injury to the teeth, lips, tongue or soft tissue in the mouth
- A mouth guard can help you avoid chipping or breaking a tooth
- A mouth guard helps provide protection against nerve damage to a tooth and even tooth loss
- A mouth guard may provide protection from concussions by assisting in force distribution when there is a blow to the head
- For non-athletes, mouth guards can still provide benefits. An example is for patients who grind their teeth in their sleep. A custom fit mouth guard will help prevent this.
Why custom fit?
A custom-fit mouth guard is individually designed and crafted for the patient. The impressions are normally taken at your dental office and then that impression is sent to a professional lab where the mouth guard is crafted. Due to the materials used and the work involved, you may have to wait around a week for the mouth guard to come in. It’s slightly more costly than other options but, due to the personalized protection offered, is worth that increased cost. A custom fit mouth guard provides top quality comfort with the best fit and protection of any other option you will find.
To schedule an appointment, please give Dr. Ann Kelley a call today at (425) 385-0080 and she will be happy to sit down with you and explore available options.